Popular Mexican steak sandwich with breaded meat, beans, pickled jalapeños, tomatoes, onion, and lettuce. You will find this sandwich in almost all Mexican restaurant menus because it is popularity.
For the Breaded Steak:
- ½ pound of thinly sliced steak (about ¼ inch thick) – enough for about 4-6 sandwiches
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Corn or vegetable Oil for frying -enough for about about ¼ of an inch up the pan
For the Sandwich:
- 4–6 Panes Telera or Bolillo or Italian bread or sandwich bread of choice
- 4–6 Breaded Steaks (cooked)
- 2 cups Refried beans
- Pickled jalapenos (chiles curtidos) – sliced
- Tomatoes – sliced into rounds
- Onions – sliced thin
- Avocado slices
- Cilantro – roughly chopped
- Cheese slices
- Sour Cream
- Green or Red Salsa
Breading the Meat:
- Add 1 cup of flour, 1 teaspoon of salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and black pepper to a dish big enough to fit a slice of the meat. Give it a good mix.
- In another bowl or dish crack and whisk together 3 eggs, set aside.
- In a 3rd dish add 1 cup of bread crumbs, set aside.
- Take 1 piece of your sliced meat and dredge it in the flour mixture.
- Next, dip it in the egg mixture.
- Lastly dredge the meat in the bread crumbs and coat really well.
- Over medium to medium-low flame, heat a neutral oil about ¼ inches up a pan big enough to fit 1 piece of meat.
- Once it has come up to the proper temperature (End of a wooden spoon should bubble), add 1 of the pieces of breaded meat and let cook approximately 2 minutes per side, making sure it’s not burning the breadcrumbs.
- Once both sides have been cooked, remove from the oil and place on a cooling rack or paper towel lined dish, to pick up and excess oil.
Assembling Your Sandwich:
- Lightly toast your bread of choice.
- Add mayo to both buns.
- To the bottom bun, add a layer of refried beans
- On top of your beans, add your fried breaded steak
- Finish it off by layering on the optional toppings – Lettuce, tomato, pickled jalapenos, onion, Cilantro, cheese, sour cream, and green or red salsa.
Not all ingredients listed above have a measured quantity. Toppings are optional so chop or prepare them as you see necessary. If you don’t like tomato, but 1 person does, just do a couple round slices. There is no specific amount, it’s all personal preference. I list them only to make you aware of what some of the popular toppings are, but feel free to substitute them with other toppings you might prefer better.
You can also layer a few pieces of meat onto the same sandwich to make it more hardy.
If you buy already seasoned bread crumbs, there is usually no need to add extra salt to them, but if they are plain bread crumbs, add about 1 teaspoon of salt for every 1 cup of plain crumbs. I personal like getting the Italian Seasoned Bread Crumbs. They give this a really good flavor!
Keywords: Mexican Sandwich, Breaded Meat, Chicken Fried Steak Sandwich, torta de milanesa de res, torta de milanesa