Taco night on a budget! Ground beef, jalapeños, onion, tomato, garlic, spices. Add some tortillas and some toppings to the mix and you got yourself a taco night! This is also a great one-pan meal.
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup diced tomato
- ½ cup diced jalapenos, seeded and deveined
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon regular salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- To a pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and add your ground beef.
- Cook until the juices have evaporated and the meat has started to brown, about 15 minutes on medium heat. Make sure to really break up your meat.
- Now that your beef has browned, add 1 teaspoon of salt, the garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika, and black pepper.
- Mix all that into your meat.
- Add the onions and jalapenos to the pan and give it another good mix.
- Cook until the onion has softened, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato, garlic, and remaining teaspoon of salt.
- Cook for another 1-2 minutes mixing it all in to incorporate.
- Feel free to tone down the spice by not adding as much jalapeño, cutting back on the cayenne and/or paprika.
- You can also go the opposite way and if you’d like it to be more spicy try adding in a bit more jalapeño and cayenne. Really turn up the heat!
- If you have another preference in meat, try with these spices and/or cooking method.
- If you don’t have all these spices on hand, you could always use a pack of the pre-mixed taco seasoning from the store.
- This would be awesome with some rice, beans, and salsa.