They’re like a mini hand held pumpkin pie. Soft and flaky on the outside, with pumpkiny goodness on the inside!
For the Filling:
- 1 – 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground clove
For the Dough:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk or cream
- To a saucepan, add your pumpkin puree, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, ground ginger, and ground clove.
- Cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly so that it does not burn or stick to the bottom of the pan.
- It should thicken more as it cooks longer. It’s ready when you drag your spoon across the center and it doesn’t come back together. This should take about 15 minutes.
- Once it has thickened, turn off the heat and cool for about 30 minutes. Refrigerated for at least an hour, if possible.
- To make your egg wash, whisk together your egg and milk. Set aside.
- Next, make the homemade empanada dough and roll it out thin, about ⅛ of an inch thick. Using a 4 inch circle cutter, cut out as many circles as you can. Remove the excess dough and set aside.
- To the dough circles, place ½ a tablespoon of pumpkin filling in the center.
- Brush some of the egg wash all around the edges of the circles.
- Fold the circle over the filling and crimp the edges closed with a fork. You don’t want the filling escaping during baking.
- Place your empanadas on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Repeat with the remaining dough including the scraps.
- Brush the tops of your empanadas with the egg wash and place in a 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 25-30 minute, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Remove from the baking sheet and cool on a cooling rack.
- You can make these as big or as little as you’d like, just make sure that you adjust the amount of filling according the size of your empanada. If you make it a bit bigger, add more filling. A bit smaller, add a bit less. Baking time should be about the same, but make sure you bake until golden brown.
- Serving Size: 1 empanada
- Calories: 136
- Sugar: 3.8g
- Sodium: 83mg
- Fat: 8.4g
- Saturated Fat: 5.2g
- Unsaturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 13.5g
- Fiber: .9g
- Protein: 2g
- Cholesterol: 23mg
Keywords: pumpkin pie empanadas