Calabacitas con elotes or Mexican squash with corn kernels makes for a great easy vegan side dish.
- 2 Mexican squash/zucchini (calabacitas) or about 2.5-3 cups chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeño, chopped (seeded and deveined for less heat)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Crumbled Queso Fresco
- Dollop of sour cream
- or Fave mild tasting melting cheese
- Start by chopping your squash into quarters lengthwise and then into ¼ inch pieces crosswise. You should end up with pieces that look like a triangle.
- Chop the tomatoes into cubes, set aside
- Chop the onion.
- For the jalapeno, chop, remove seeds, and devein.
- Mince the garlic cloves.
- Set them all aside.
- To a pan over medium to medium-low heat, add 1 tablespoon of oil.
- Add the chopped onions to the pan and saute for about 3 minutes or until translucent.
- Once the onions have become translucent, add your minced garlic and stir for about 30 seconds to a minute.
- After 30 seconds to a minute, to the pan add the chopped tomato and jalapeno and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir to combine and cook stirring for about 5 minutes.
- 5 minutes later, add your chopped calabacitas, corn, and ½ teaspoon of salt, stir to combine.
- Cover the with a lid and let it simmer on low heat for about 15- 20 minutes or until the squash is fork-tender, stirring occasionally.
- Serve and top with queso fresco or a bit of sour cream.
- Can be substituted with fave squash or zucchini of choice.
- Remove the jalapeño or cut in half to take away some or all of the heat.
- Stores in the fridge for about 5 days.
Keywords: squash, calabacitas, side dish, vegan