Tacos dorados de papa con queso. Delicious crispy potato and cheese tacos. Soft and fluffy on the inside, browned and crunchy on the outside.
- 2 medium potatoes or about 1.25lbs
- 1 cup or 3 oz chihuahua cheese
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Frying oil (Vegetable or Canola)
- 12 Tortillas
- To a pot add your potatoes and fill with water to cover and boil until fork tender
- Lightly mash your potatoes with a masher or fork or put them through a ricer with salt and pepper to taste
- Shred your cheese on a grater
- Mix the cheese with the potatoes. Don’t worry if they start looking gummy, that way they don’t fall out of the tortilla when you’re frying it.
- In another pan, heat up enough oil so that it’s ¼ inch up the pan
- Warm your tortillas on a flat griddle or 30 seconds in the microwave to make them pliable. If you don’t heat them up you will not be able to roll them. They will most likely break.
- Heat your oil to about 350 degrees or until the end of a wooden spoon starts to bubble.
- While your oil heats up, fill the tortillas just shy of ¼ cup filling with the filling not exactly in the center just slightly off.
- Roll the tortilla over the filling and place seam side down on a cookie sheet or large plate.
- Continue to roll all of your tacos and they are all finished
- Once your oil has come up to the right temperature, place your taquitos in the pan very carefully, seem side down and away from you with some tongs if possible.
- Fry on each side for approx 1 minute on each side
- Place them standing up in a colander lined with a paper towel over a bowl to catch any oil that might drip out while they rest.
- Serve them topped with finely shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, sour cream, and some delicious green or red salsa.